Tuesday, November 22, 2005

Best of 2005

So I am going to be compiling a list of the best of 2005 in music and such. I've been going through my musical collection to see what albums that are from this year that I like the best. And, to tell you the truth, it's hard. Yes, 2005 has been an awesome year for albums. A lot of which I have totally forgot about and some new ones that are really great PLUS a lot that I have missed. So here is my rundown of the stuff I have currently have with short descriptions of why they are any good or only moderately good are amazing. Did I miss something? Let me know and I will get it somehow before the year is over.

Black Rebel Motorcycle Club's Howl- Possibly the best album of this year, BRMC ditches its past Retro Rock efforts and decided to all sit around with acoustic guitars and listen to albums like After the Gold Rush and Blonde on Blonde. Good thing they did. Songs with a great acoustic and country feel with that twist of Rock and Roll that has been dead for so long has made this album something to pick up this year. It's truly astonoshingly good.

Beck's Guero- I love Beck and this album is pretty damn good. For some reason, as an album, I don't love it as much as I thought I would. But each individual song is pretty damn amazing. Earthquake Weather and Missing are two outstanding tracks. But for some reason, when all lumped together, I don't love it as much as I should. It's definitely going on my top 10, but not sure if its gonna break the top 5.

The Raveonettes' Pretty in Black- The retro sound of the 50's and 60's blended with loud guitars and dripping sexuality lead to yet another stellar effort from the Rave's. This time, without their weird contract of having to record all songs in one key, they churn out songs more unique then their last two efforts. They also pick up the acoustic guitars on a few tracks and lay down the law with their brand of Whip Lash rock and roll.

The Decemberists' Picaresque- The most poetic album of the year. Lyrics that will numb your brain and orchestration that makes it even better. A perfect blend of beautiful words and music make this album totally worth it. A band I have been meaning to hear for a while and thanks to Lou's recomendations, its totally on.

Stephen Malkmus and the Jicks' Face the Truth- I think I should face the truth and just say that this will be my #1 album. Malkmus does it again with zany lyrics, jamming songs and a throwback to the schizo of Wowee Zowee yet the innocence and fun of his solo albums. The rocking 8 minute "No More Shoes" rules.

Diamond Nights' Popsicle- Kind of a new one, but the Kemado Records glam rockers whose influences are Marc Bolan, Chianti (yes the wine) and beautiful women know how to throw back to the days of the 70's glam rockers of T-Rex and Lou Reed with catchy riffs and crooning vocals. It's nothing super special, but it's pure fun.

Franz Ferdinand's You Could Have It So Much Better- Not too great of a second effort, but it's still a solid album. Pretty much you know what you are getting with this one. The single "Do You Want To" is definitely the best part about this album. Going from mono to stereo is a throat kick of great production that makes it one of the standout singles of the year.

Depeche Mode's Playing the Angel- A great band of the 80's who has been missing its musical link since 1990's Vialator makes another good solid album of new wave. This time, not from a nu-wave band. The single "Precious" is intoxicatingly good. Otherwise, the album is just decent overall.

The Coral's The Invisible Invasion- A band that has an impossible time getting popular over here in the USA but has huge success over in good ol London Town churns out yet another solid album of catchy, 60's throwback tunes. Happiness drips from every chord (especially on "In The Morning"). An overall solid album with great licks that pull the sources of the Zombies and other Brit Invasion superstars.

Fionna Apple's Extraordinary Machine- Stalled for over 6 years (maybe more) the amazingly brilliant singer/songwriter returns with an album that is just as good as her others. The music, the lyrics and the voice will peirce your ears with intoxicatingly great force.

Bright Eyes' I'm Wide Awake, It's Morning/Digital Ash in a Digital Urn- Although a lot of people complain that Connor Oberst is a whinny brat, it leads to some excellent songwriting. Two stellar albums in one year is always something to commend. Wide Awake is more traditional, while Digital Ash is more contemporary and edgy. Both are great.

Nine Inch Nails' [With_Teeth]- There is no doubt in my mind that Trent Reznor is a musical genius. Churning out yet another great album with heavy hitting tunes and amazingly structured rock. The first track "All The Love in the World" is the best Nine Inch Nails song since anything off of The Downward Spiral.

The White Stripes' Get Behind Me Satan- The White Stipes skewed away from their usual garage rock feel and get a dose of the country blues. And yes, they did an amazing job. A lot of piano and a lot different than anything else out there. As many critics say, they have recorded their Exile on Main Street. Stellar tracks include "As Ugly As I Seem" and "Little Ghost."

2 comments:

Drew said...

Dude, I got your IM the other day...I'll definitely write up my fave album of the year for you. Not exactly sure what it is yet, though. I'm thinking Why "Elephant Eyelash" but that might be way too random to even be worth writing about. I'll get back to you!

Werd said...

Neil Young - Prairie Wind. Bonus points for that album due to the NEW BRAIN