Tuesday, January 10, 2006

New Discoveries

Here are my two new discoveries that anyone reading this needs to check out. Starting in chronological order of me finding them.

Tim Buckley's Happy Sad- The father of Jeff and a songwriter of amazing proportions, Tim Buckley also died at a very young age and before he could ever get to know his own son (which is kinda freaky since their styles are similar in some ways). I bought his album Happy Sad without knowing what he sounded like at all. And much to my surprise, it immediately blew my mind with its amazingness. It's a lot on the line of Van Morrison's Astral Weeks, but it has a style and quality of its own. The aura the listener receives when listening to it is really bright and life-affirming. Tim plays a Twelve String Guitar which adds so much sound and quality and warmth to the songs. A lot of other great instruments (like vibes and bass marimba) also give it a great style. All around excellent songs with compelling lyrics. Definitely check it out.

Woody Allen's Match Point- So I've been hearing buzz about the new Woody Allen film, and when I heard this, I was quite skeptical. I looked back at his last few efforts, and they all looked sub-par. So tonight, me and my dad were to go on an excursion to see Kong, but it was only playing late and I didn't want to see it later at night (mainly because I know my dad can't sit through 3 hours plus of Kong.) So we see Match Point. We both agree that it is by far the best picture of the year. There is no way this film isn't. From start to finish, you are compelled by the characters and sucked into the vortex of lies, sin and deceit that is slowly building to an intense climax. A huge moral and ethical delimma consumes the main character and you are right along side of him. Its dark and there is very little comedy from a comedic genius. Set in London and NOT New York as most would expect, this is not your typical Woody Allen film. This goes right up there with his other great films like Manhattan and Crimes and Misdemeanors and may very well be his greatest film yet. Definitely see it in theaters. It will shock you how great it is.

Thats all for now.

1 comment:

Drew said...

...that, and I'd throw it in Scarlett all day. Uh, don't tell Michelle I said that.