Sunday, February 22, 2009

The Oscars

This year, I plan on Twittering it up for the Oscars, making comments that 4 people will read. Regardless, I don't have as much invested this year as I did last year (what, with Michael Clayton, There Will Be Blood and No Country For Old Men all being nominated for best film not to mention a bajillion other awesome movies that got nods for acting and such.) 2008 was a relatively weak year but there were some gems here and there. Here is the list of nominees. In bold are the picks that I believe should win. In italics are what I predict the Academy will go with. In bold and italics are if they are one in the same. I am only doing the most important categories as I don't really care who wins something like, say, costume design.

I think this years show should be good and I am very intrigued by Hugh Jackman hosting. That should be interesting to say the least. The major beef I have is with the best song being raped to a medley of songs that are all cut short. Regardless, a newly un-pregnant M.I.A. is set to perform. That should be pretty kickass.
ACTOR, LEADING
Richard Jenkins "The Visitor
Frank Langella "Frost/Nixon"
Sean Penn "Milk"
Brad Pitt "Benjamin Button"
Mickey Rourke "The Wrestler"

The Academy is most likely going to give it to Sean Penn, but for my dollar, Rourke's return to showing that he's got what it takes to really deliver his heart on his sleeve is just breathtaking. It may be better than even Daniel Day Lewis' performance from last year.

ACTOR, SUPPORTING
Josh Brolin "Milk"
Robert Downey Jr. "Tropic Thunder"
Philip Seymour Hoffman "Doubt"
Heath Ledger "The Dark Knight"
Michael Shannon "Revolutionary Road"

This is a no brainer. In fact, if anyone else were to win, riots would ensue. It's not because of Ledger's passing. It's because his portrayal of The Joker is just plain outstanding. It demands your attention even when he is not on the screen. The fates have written this one, but luckily it's also definitely the most deserving of all of these contestants.

ACTRESS, LEADING
Anne Hathaway "Rachel Getting Married"
Angelina Jolie "Changeling"
Melissa Leo "Frozen River"
Meryl Streep "Doubt"
Kate Winslet "The Reader"

Winslet has been snubbed left and right and for once, I think she deserves to be overlookded. Not because she isn't great, but because Anne Hathaway really hit a home run here. I would love a dark horse victory here, but as Winslet said on the show Extras, you can't win an Oscar until you do a Holocaust movie.

ACTRESS, SUPPORTING
Amy Adams "Doubt"
Penelope Cruz "Vicky Cristina Barcelona"
Viola Davis "Doubt"
Taraji P. Henson "Benjamin Button"
Marisa Tomei "The Wrestler"

I have not seen enough in this category, I admit. In fact, a lot of these catagories I missed essential films, but alas. I only am picking Cruz because she deserved it for Volver. Otherwise, I'm pretty sure Viola Davis will win this.
ANIMATED FEATURE
Bolt
Kung-Fu Panda
WALL-E

Pixar always reigns supreme.

DIRECTING
David Fincher "Benjamin Button"
Ron Howard "Frost/Nixon"
Gus Van Sant "Milk"
Stephen Daldry "The Reader"
Danny Boyle "Slumdog Millionaire"

This is definitely going to be a Slumdog kinda year. It's def legit too. Danny Boyle's kinetic style deserves praise.

BEST PICTURE
Benjamin Button
Frost/Nixon
Milk
The Reader
Slumdog Millionaire

It's probably the happiest movie up here and in a year of financial demise, it's something that speaks to the audiences. That alone makes this a lock. I swear to Jesus I will punch a donkey if Button wins.

SCREENPLAY, ADAPTED
Benjamin Button
Doubt
Frost/Nixon
The Reader
Slumdog Millionaire

To be honest, these movies aren't the best script wise. Nothing really that intense. But Slumdog is bound for glory.

SCREENPLAY, ORIGINAL
Frozen River
Happy-Go-Lucky
In Bruges
Milk
WALL-E

After last years atrocity of Juno winning this over a brilliantly scripted movie like Michael Clayton, I am shattered physically and mentally. That being said, I haven't seen most of this but thought that In Bruges was decent. The script isn't really good per se, but hell if Juno can win, this should be a lock! If anything, best original screenplay of the year should really go to The Wrestler but that got snubbed in a lot of places. Regardless, Milk will most likely win and probably deserves to.

Every year my favorite movies never line up with the Oscar Friendly category. Out of my top ten films of the year, only Slumdog is up for the top honors. Regardless, it's the one Hollywood glitz and glamor show I truly enjoy watching. Here's hoping for something mildly enjoyable.

No comments: