Friday, January 02, 2009

2008: Tumultuous Indeed

The third definition of tumult reads as follows:

"3. highly distressing agitation of mind or feeling; turbulent mental or emotional disturbance: His placid facade failed to conceal the tumult of his mind."


This
is the best word to describe my life in the year 2008. I had a involuntary vacation in January, came back to work, got laid off two months later, got rehired one month later after one of the most epic nights of drinking I've ever had, saw my boss get fired and a new one hired and that was just the stuff going on with my job. Although my placid facade didn't conceal my minds tumult, I can safely say that 2008 wasn't all that bad.

I moved back to Jersey after a strange summer. I had a lot of fun going down the shore, but the ultimate disappointment of having to keep working in New Jersey and move back here was at first not something that made me happy. Luckily, my roommate rules and I have had nothing but great times, even if I still haven't finished building my dresser (don't tell Mrs. T!) I also lost my old car due to massive amounts of work needing to be done to it. Thankfully, that has led to the purchasing of Sly, the Chevy Malibu. Lemme Lemme Upgrad'ya.

Turning 25 was fun. Probably the best birthday I ever had. 2008 was the year that friendships that I had for many moons got stronger. This is in part to National Mechanics Karaoke being something sort of a cult gathering. Old and new friends were gained through the weekly excursions to the Olde City establishment and I am forever grateful for it. A new seasonal gathering of
gentleman was also instituted. Yet another great event that helped solidify friendships.

Although this year was fruitless in pursuits of the romantic type, that wasn't that big a deal. I'm getting over that pretty fast. I don't need a relationship that in the past I had so desperately thought I did. I'm not opposed to the idea of a companion, but nothing seems to have come about and although there are always interests out there, I'm not exactly ready to try anything super cereal.

2008 was an epic year for concerts and other shows. I saw many legends I always wanted to check out plus many small event shows that rocked my socks. Here is a list of a few of these musical moments:
Black Mountain, Dysrhythmia, King Crimson, Kids in the Hall, Radiohead, Stone Temple Pilots, David Byrne, Neil Young, Electric Six, Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds, Danava and Secret Machines.

Music is always a driving force in my life. And a mix will be added to this list once it solidifies. The year end musical moments mix is different from the Best Tracks of 2008 as it's not a ranking but a musical biography of the year 2008.

So long '08. You were an interesting ride. I'm looking forward to 2009 hoping it's exciting, but a little more stable.

No comments: