I love making mixes. Of an kind. Whether it's just for someones birthday or it's a heady complex alternate universe where Y2K has destroyed the world. I enjoy the process and the end result as well as input from others. Recently a few of my friends, all bored and complacent at our respective jobs, have started a Fantasy Mix Making draft. We will pick a topic and then draft artists/songs and develop a mix based around those parameters. I have been pleased with all my entries so far and thought I'd share them with you along with my mission statements of each. The most recent mix won't have any description as voting is still in play and I do not want to sway the opinion of my mix to those involved in case they read this. Here goes the past three mixes.
Draft: British Invasion (only bands hailing from the British Isles were allowed)
The Xenophobic Limey
1. Depeche Mode - The World in My Eyes
2. David Bowie - I'm Afraid of Americans
3. The Prodigy - Firestarter
4. Brian Eno - Baby's On Fire
5. Goldfrapp - Lovely Head
6. Peter Gabriel - Games Without Frontiers
7. Portishead - Small
The mission of this mix was to paint a picture of a lonely Brit who has fallen away from society. Main motif's, songs with whistling, lyric themes of fire and loneliness.
Draft: States (Instead of drafting bands or songs we drafted State from the USA and could use any band hailing from that state. We drafted without any research as well. A tough draft indeed.)
My Decent Into Madness
1. Thurston Moore - The Shape is in A Trance (Connecticut)
2. Smashing Orange - Flower Kisses (Delaware)
3. Throwing Muses - Bright Yellow Gun (Rhode Island)
4. Dreadnaught - R. Daneel Oilvaw (New Hampshire)
5. The Black Angels - Doves (Texas)
6. Secret Machines - The Walls Are Starting to Crack (New York)
7. Mastodon - The Last Baron (Georgia)
This mix documents someone slowly being driven to madness. Themes include lost love, poison, fire and musical themes include shoegze/shimmering guitars and loads of tambourine.
Draft: Robocalypse (Drafted songs and crafted a soundtrack to the impending Robot Apocalypse)
Ja tvoi sluga, Ja tvoi rabotnik
1. Kraftwerk - The Robots
2. Battles - Atlas
3. King Crimson - 21st Century Schizoid Man
4. Nine Inch Nails - The Day The World Went Away
5. Gary Numan - M.E.
6. Vangelis - Tears in Rain (Blade Runner Soundtrack)
More info to come.