Saturday, November 15, 2008

It's hard to imagine that nothing at all could be so exciting. Could be so much fun.

Yet another thanks to TGO, my dad, for imposing his amazing taste in film and music onto me as a youngster. A concert film is as much a film as any, and I can safely say there will be possible more on this list as they usually attach themselves to fine moments in life. Regardless, when it comes down to it, the Talking Heads teaming up with Johnathan Demme for the visceral Stop Making Sense was one of those movie watching experiences that I could never forget. My dad had a VHS copy of this and growing up to songs like "Once in a Lifetime" and "Burning Down the House" were essential to my musical growth. The videos for these songs were watched by me when I'd sneak hours of watching MTV, pretty much forbidden for the most part to my young eyes for whatever reason. I was addicted to Music Videos. It was the perfect blending of film art and pop music. The 80's were formative young years for me and even though I was more of the 90's generation of music video watching, the flashback videos were always my favorites. Although not a traditional music video, a film like Stop Making Sense lends itself to the MTV generation. And that makes it so visually awesome. That and the fact that David Byrne is a mad genius.

Words can barely express my love of this film. It's best described in showing some of it's best visual elements. The film nailed home my love of music.

"Life During Wartime"


"Girlfriend is Better"


"Slippery People"


"Heaven"


Demme's ability to capture the visual element put together by the Heads is uncannily inventive and good. From the simplistic to "Heaven" with just the two performers onstage tot he more complicated goof antics of the "Big Suit" during "Girlfriend is Better." It just reeks of greatness. I religiously watched this at Wow Video on slow days or late at night and would forced friends to watch it if they had the slightest interest in the Talking Heads. It solidifies the love you may have for such a band of amazing artists.

I wish one day to emulate their greatness. I no longer am in a band, but I would have told you that my antics on stage emulated a mixture of David Byrne, Roger Daltry and Jim Morrison (minus the "Celebration of the Lizard" incident.) Byrne's whacked out front man is silly yet you can't take your eyes off of his dance moves. The band slowly emerges, fills the empty stage and fills the theater with lots of great music. I definitely could watch this film at anytime and it would immediately make me happy. In fact, I might watch some of it now....

1. Cinema Paradiso (1988) dr. Giuseppe Tornatore
2. Rushmore (1998) dr. Wes Anderson
3. Jurassic Park (1993) dr. Steven Speilberg
4. It's A Wonderful Life (1946) dr. Frank Capra
5. Trust (1990) dr. Hal Hartley
6. Donnie Darko (2001) dr. Richard Kelly
7. On The Waterfront (1954) dr. Elia Kazan
8. Monty Python & The Holy Grail (1975) dr. Terry Jones & Terry Gilliam
9. Do The Right Thing (1989) dr. Spike Lee
10. Stop Making Sense (1984) dr. Johnathan Demme

Up Next: Trekkies (1997) dr. Roger Nygard

No comments: